About the role
A welcoming and open community space for all, with a special emphasis on supporting refugees, asylum seekers and migrants to connect, socialise and have a nice lunch. It’s a busy, diverse and vibrant space with a strong community feel and plenty happening.
We also have a staff member on hand who provides one-to-one advice to our international clients, to help their experience in the UK be the best it can be.
Key role responsibilities include:
- Building relationships with clients
- Building a sense of belonging – creating a safe and inclusive space, where everyone can be valued and allowed to contribute to the community
- Support the day-to-day running of the centre – set up and pack down, cleaning, cooking serving lunch, maintaining the building (e.g. gardening)
- Provide practical support to attendees (phone calls, paperwork, signposting)
- Provide emotional support to attendees (talking, listening)
- Participate in team pre and post-session meetings.
You don’t need any previous experience or knowledge to volunteer in this role. If you’ve got some language skills, these are very handy, but if not that’s okay too. The main things we’re looking for are people who love working with people, who align with our values and who, most importantly, are open to learning.
One session per week, for 6 months. You’ll need to be available for the whole session and it should be the same session each week (e.g. every Tuesday.)
Tuesday and Thursday, 10am-3.15pm.
Support and Learning
You’ll receive tailored support from our volunteer coordinator, and be part of team pre and post-session meetings on the day, where you’ll get support from our Session Leads. As with all our volunteer opportunities, you’ll also have access to a range of free, formal training opportunities including Mental Health First Aid, The Care Certificate and First Aid.
How to apply
To apply, please click on the link below. Upon receiving your application you’ll be asked to attend a Selection Day. The Selection Day is a full day, held every month on a Saturday where you’ll have the opportunity to find out about who we are, what work we do here at Likewise, and what volunteering with us might look like.